Six Sigma – what does it mean?
Six sigma is the latest quality management system prevalent for regulating and managing corporate organizations.
Sigma is the Greek letter which is used by statisticians of denote the standard deviation for a set of data. A stated signal level such as six sigma is used to describe how well the process variations meet the customer requirement
The four basic principles of six sigma:
- Project focus and duration.
- Organizational support and infrastructure.
- Clear and consistent methodology.
- Top down training.
Four key principle for successful deployment.
- Support and participation of top management.
- Sufficient resource allocation to improvement teams.
- Data driven decision making.
- Measurement and feedback of key processes.
Six sigma functions through a Modal (DMAIC) i.e Define, Measure Analyze, Improve and Control.
The key objectives that are in the defined stage are:
Project definition, Top-level process definition and team formation.
It aims at articulating the project’s scope goal and objectives. Further the top level process definition of the stakeholders, input, output and broad functions are also defined.
Last but not the least, a highly capable and focused team is formed which focuses on the skills and a common understanding of the issues and benefits of the proposed projects.
At this stage a process is defined at a detailed level and to understand the decision points and detailed functionality within the process is ascertained.
Matrix definition to verify a reliable means of process estimation and process baseline estimation to clarify the starting points of the project is maintained.
Measurement system analysis to quantify the errors associated with the matrix is the last process formulation in this stage.
This stage focuses on the analysis of the value stream and the necessary steps that produce value for the customer’s.
Analyses of the sources of variations are also done.
And finally a combination of the process drivers that correlate to the stakeholders requirements and significantly influence the process output are set.
New process operating conditions are determined.
Benefits associated with the proposed solutions are estimated by the teams.
Failure mode of the new processes are investigated and addressed.
Process improvement is implemented and verified.
The new methods must become standardized.
Predicted impact of the improvements, project deliverables must be continually verified and
the lessons learned should be documented.
BENEFITS OF SIX-SIGMA FOR STUDENTS
- Understanding the analyses of human factors in quality
- Developing ability to use seven quality control tools such as: check sheet, control charts, histograms, Pareto chart, scatter diagram, flowcharts and Cause and Effect diagrams.
- Developing measuring process capability
- Understanding the quality control in services
- Learning vendor quality evaluation assessment process
- Understanding the acceptance sampling.
- Optimal use of resources by elimination of waste, scrap and non-value adding activities.
- Greater clarity in the way we perform our operations leading to higher efficiency.
- Timely execution of all activities.
- Higher credibility of the organisation leading to greater confidence amongst customers.
- Confidence of suppliers and own employees in the organisation.
- Continual improvement in the operational effectiveness.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction.
- More orders, lesser costs and thus greater profitability.
- Morale boosting for the workforce with a great sense of achievement and well being.
- More focused orientation of the workforce in achieving organisational objectives.
Objectives of the course
The course would acquaint the students and apprise them about the various functional international standards regarding quality aspects.
The student would also be getting hands- on experience in the classroom environment about the actual implementation process of SIX-SIGMA in various industrial organizations.
The student would be empowered to personally function as an independent six sigma specialist to install, operate and monitor various quality processes.
This training program is extremely beneficial for the professionals undergoing management and engineering education. It aims at developing a highly qualified, competent quality human resource that can be absorbed by the Industries’ at the national and international level.
Duration: Two days.
Total Sessions: 8.
Examination based on the Handouts and recommended material.
Total Cost: 5000/ per student.
Organizational Cost: 25000 ( with maximum of 10 students) 50% discounted on primary offers.