ISO 9001:2008 has been designed to help companies/institutions in establishing quality management system that enables them to produce products and render services that meet customer requirements and enhance their satisfaction ISO 9001 is the internationally recognized standard for management of a business systems. The standard provides a framework for managing
and improving an organisation’s quality system using a process approach.
SCOPE OF ISO 9001:2008
ISO 9001:2008 specifies requirements for a Quality Management System (QMS) where an organisation:
- Needs to demonstrate its ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and applicable regulatory requirements. 2.Aims to enhance customer satisfaction through effective application of the system, including processes for continual improvement of the system and assurance of conformity to customer and applicable regulatory requirements.
KEY FEATURES OF ISO 9001:2008
- Greater emphasis on customer focus and orientation.
- Process based approach.
- Emphasis on continual improvement.
- Measurable quality objectives.
- Greater emphasis on planning.
- More focused management commitment to achieve customer satisfaction and provide resources.
- Consideration of regulatory requirements for products is mandatory.
- Internal communications is a requirement.
- Reduced emphasis on documentation but more on providing evidence.
- Emphasis on assuring skills of personnel.
- Judging the effectiveness of the training.
- Provision of suitable work environment is a requirement.
- Requirement to measure customer satisfaction introduced.
- Requirement to measure process performance introduced.
- Language made simpler.
BENEFITS OF ISO 9001:2008
Application of ISO 9001:2008 based QMS has many benefits:
Assured and consistent provision of quality products and services.
- Optimal use of resources by elimination of waste, scrap and non-value adding activities.
- Greater clarity in the way we perform our operations leading to higher efficiency.
- Timely execution of all activities.
- Higher credibility of the organisation leading to greater confidence amongst customers.
- Confidence of suppliers and own employees in the organisation.
- Continual improvement in the operational effectiveness.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction.
- More orders, lesser costs and thus greater profitability.
- Morale boosting for the workforce with a great sense of achievement and well being.
- More focussed orientation of the workforce in achieving organisational objectives.
Quality Manual is mandatory
- Quality Manual to contain scope of QMS
- Only six mandatory procedures
- Requirement of other procedures to be determined based on need
- Extent of documentation dependent upon size and type of organisation, complexity of processes and skills of personnel
- Control of documents to ensure that up to date and authorised versions of documents are available at the points of use
- Documents to be periodically reviewed
- Documents of external origin to be controlled
- Control of records to ensure that they provide evidence of compliance with QMS requirements
- Documented procedures for the control of documents and records
ISO 9001:2008 sets out the criteria for a quality management system and is the only standard in the family that can be certified to (although this is not a requirement). It can be used by any organization, large or small, regardless of its field of activity. In fact ISO 9001:2008 is implemented by over one million companies and organizations in over 170 countries.
This standard is based on a number of quality management principles including a strong customer focus, the motivation and implication of top management, the process approach and continual improvement. These principles are explained in more detail in the pdf Quality Management Principles. Using ISO 9001:2008 helps ensure that customers get consistent, good quality products and services, which in turn brings many business benefits.
Basic Awareness programme: 1 Manday
Advanced Programme: 2 Mandays
Exam Duration: 2 hours for 100 marks.
Minimum marks required to qualify for certification:70
(A separate brochure would be sent for cost details on query)